The Big 12 has closed the books on its fall championship season and Iowa State’s third-place standing is its best ever.
Here are the relevant facts at this juncture of the season-long all-sports competition:
- The Cyclones won the Big 12 championship in women’s cross country, their third straight title;
- The men’s cross country team was runner-up, its best mark in 17 years (ISU was also second in 1997);
- Two wins to close the season moved the football team into a tie for 7th (after being picked for 9th) in the conference standings, its best since 2005;
- The soccer team made the league tournament with 4th-place finish, its best since finishing 2nd in 2005;
- The volleyball team (3rd place) recorded its fifth consecutive Top 3 finish in the league;
- Five different schools – Iowa State (WXC), Oklahoma State (MXC), Baylor (FB), Texas (VB) and West Virginia (SOC) won fall team championships.
Here are the full Big 12 all-sports standings (after 5 sports): Longhorns, Cowboys, Cyclones, Mountaineers, Bears, Sooners, Wildcats, Red Raiders, Jayhawks and Horned Frogs.