People love to rank things.
Where are the best places to live or eat? What is your favorite team? Who are you preferred music groups or entertainers?
In college sports, the focus revolves around the Top 25. With that as the foundation, how did Iowa State Athletics fair in the 2013-14 athletics season?
Half (9-of-18) of the Cyclone teams registered Top 25 finishes in their final polls or in their national championship competitions.
Here is the full list:
- Cross Country (women’s): 7th in the final USTFCCA poll;
- Basketball (men’s): 9th in the final Associated Press poll;
- Wrestling: 12th at the 2014 NCAA Championship;
- Outdoor Track & Field (women’s): 15th at the 2014 NCAA Championship;
- Indoor Track & Field (women’s): 20th in the final USTFCCA poll;
- Gymnastics: 21st in the final GymInfo poll;
- Golf (women’s): 23rd at the 2014 NCAA Championship;
- Indoor Track & Field (men’s): 23rd in the final USTFCCA poll;
- Golf (men’s): 25th at the NCAA Championship;
The volleyball (27th in the final AVCA poll) and men’s cross country (32nd in their final poll) teams just missed the Top 25 cutoff.
Consider this for perspective… one decade ago (2003-04), gymnastics and wrestling were the only Top 25 programs at Iowa State.
It’s been a good 10 years of progress.